Wednesday 20 November 2013

Identity Glue (Who you believe you are effects EVERYTHING)



The beliefs you hold about yourself can effect every part and area of your life - for good or for bad!


Who you believe yourself to be will stick to you, and bears massive influence on how you act, think and behave as the thoughts you have about yourself produce the emotions you experience in the context of your everyday life, which in turn will influence how you react and respond to the situations and life circumstances you find yourself in, then ultimately, the outcomes you experience in the different areas of your life.

Learning how to develop a clear understanding of who you are as a human being will have positive effect on you both mentally and emotionally. This will help you to overcome depression and anxiety, increase your self esteem and confidence, and the levels of your overall effectiveness in life.

So .... Who are you?

This is a great question & is one that took me a number of years to understand.

In what may be a long winded attempt in answering this, I'd be happy to share my story.

For over 8 years of my life I served in the British Army as a Soldier. In this time I defined myself as a Soldier.

Upon leaving the Army I spent over 7 years in unfulfilling roles of which I tried to 'define myself' as to others, such as a financial consultant, a car salesman, a marketing consultant or even a cherry picker (and I did actually do this for a season), I felt pretty low and insignificant based upon the level of self value that I felt as a Soldier.

The problem was that I left the army for a reason, being that I no longer wanted to be a soldier!

As you may imagine, this left me with some serious mental and emotional problems - the things that I had done with my life until now were not congruent with who I believed myself to be (of which I'd never even actually defined).

Upon meeting a very wise man in the midst of my worldwide travels in search for this answer, I was asked a profound and life changing question: 

"If you were to define yourself NOT by what you do in life but by WHO you actually know yourself to be, who is that person?"

I can promise you that this answer did not come to me fast, but over the period of about two years, I grew to realise that I am loving person, an honest person, a reliable person, a creative person, a genuine person, a sincere person, a passionate person, a caring person, a pro-active person and not your average 'run of the mill' guy.

Upon this revelation of who I was, everything about my life changed. 

Today, 'What I do' with my life stems from the core of 'Who I am', 


Kain

http://www.kainramsay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment